Dr. Reid Robison and Dr. Steve Thayer discuss the historically messy relationship between spirituality and modern psychiatry and the role that psychedelics are playing in a spiritual renaissance. They cover the following topics:
- Scientific American article by Harvard psychologist, David Rosmarin, about psychiatry and spirituality.
- Sigmund Freud's assertion that religion is a mass delusion
- Perhaps a spiritual renaissance is happening alongside the psychedelic one
- The relationship between mental health problems, spirituality, meaning, and purpose.
- How people are using psychedelics as a tool for spiritual inquiry
- The hosts share their personal experiences and thoughts around spirituality
- How to Change Your Mind, by Michael Pollan
- Rick Doblin interview on JRE
- The good Friday experiment
- Mind/body dualism
- Spiritual bypassing
- The difference between pain vs. suffering and the role of struggle in growth
- Spirituality vs. religion
- Using ketamine as a “chemical mindfulness” tool
- Tara Brach and forgiveness
Disclaimer: The content of this podcast does not constitute medical advice or mental health treatment. Consult with a medical/mental health professional if you believe you are in need of mental health treatment.